HealthyStart: A Natural Solution to Crooked Teeth
At Larsen Family Dental, we are proud to offer the HealthyStart™ System, a revolutionary treatment which can provide your child with beautifully straight teeth without traditional braces. HealthyStart allows us to prevent crooked teeth by treating children early. It can also guide the development of your child’s teeth and jaw to correct sleep-disordered breathing. Dr. Paul Larsen provides this innovative system for our child patients in Bountiful, UT, to improve their overall quality of life long-term.
What Is the HealthyStart System?
The HealthyStart System is a series of soft, removable devices which your child wears while they sleep. During the night, these comfortable appliances guide erupting teeth into proper positions. At the same time, the devices expand and adjust the arches to ensure there is enough room for your child’s permanent teeth to grow straight.
Is HealthyStart Right for My Child?
The best way to find out if the HealthyStart treatment is right for your child is to schedule an appointment with Dr. Larsen. Even if they are still very young, he can identify signs that your child may not have enough room for their teeth to grow in properly.
Since HealthyStart can also help with sleep-disordered breathing, he will also ask about potential symptoms of this condition, such as:
- Loud snoring
- Gasping or snorting sounds while sleeping
- Mouth breathing
- Chronic allergies
- Restless sleep
- Attention issues or hyperactivity
- Drowsiness during the day
- Swollen tonsils or adenoids
If your child complains of frequent headaches or often wakes up during the night, these may also be signs of breathing issues. Children with sleep-disordered breathing often have difficulty in school or show irritability or aggressive behavior. All of these symptoms result from the lack of proper sleep during the night.
The HealthyStart System offers a permanent solution for crooked teeth and sleep-disordered breathing.
How the System Works
The HealthyStart System is made up of three phases, each of which takes several months to complete. Each phase uses a different type of appliance to address unique concerns:
- Habit Corrector: During the first phase, habit-corrector appliances eliminate or reduce certain oral habits, such as thumb sucking. Your child will wear the habit-corrector while sleeping. Since the device is similar to a pacifier, most children quickly become accustomed to wearing it. This stage lasts between one and five months.
- Second Phase: Once phase one is complete, Dr. Larsen will provide a second customized appliance to guide incoming teeth into their proper locations. This device also corrects the jaw and expands the arches to make space for incoming permanent teeth. This stage takes about two to six months.
- Final Phase: Your child can begin the final phase of the HealthyStart system once they have at least four permanent teeth. This device ensures that when teeth erupt they remain in a proper alignment.
Depending on your child’s age, Dr. Larsen may recommend skipping certain stages.
Give Your Child a Healthy Start in Life
The HealthyStart System offers a permanent solution for crooked teeth and sleep-disordered breathing. If your child shows symptoms of sleep-disordered breathing or crooked teeth, Dr. Larsen can assess their oral health and determine if HealthyStart is right for them. For more information about this innovative treatment option, contact our office online or call (801) 295-8881 today.
Is Healthy Start right for my child?
Print and answer these questions to see if your child could benefit from Healthy Start Treatment.
“Larsen Family Dental is the best! I wouldn’t go anywhere else. They are all very friendly and great to work with.” -Alison